PB and Apple Sandwich
Thursday, October 20, 2016
PB & Apple Sandwich
October is National Apple Month! This recipe provides protein, carbs, and healthy fats, so it is the perfect snack to hold you over between meals!
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Dash of sea salt
- 2 Tbsp orange juice
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 4 medium apples
- 1 tsp lemon juice (optional)
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 300-degrees F.
- Combine the first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Combine orange juice, honey, and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat just until sugar dissolves, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in oil and vanilla.
- Pour honey mixture over oat mixture, stirring to coat. Spread mixture in a thin layer onto a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. stirring well halfway through.
- Stir in raisins and let cool completely.
- To assemble sandwiches, core each apple and cut into 1/4-inch slices (8 slices per apple). If you won't be eating these right away, brush the apple slices with lemon juice to keep them from turning brown. Spread 2 tsp of peanut butter on 8 apple slices, then sprinkle with granola. Top with remaining apple slices, pressing down gently to make the sandwiches.
Check out the IronRoad Wellness October newsletter for all the health benefits of apples.
Subscribe To Our Blog
06/29/2017 - Fuel Your Brain
10/20/2016 - PB and Apple Sandwich
08/23/2016 - Creating healthy lunches!
08/22/2016 - Chicken and Feta Tabbouleh
07/21/2016 - Summer Salsa Recipe!
04/27/2016 - Crockpot Cooking - Easy Salsa
03/17/2015 - Get in some greens this St. Pa