Bike to Work Day!
Friday, May 13, 2016
May 20th is Bike to Work Day!
May 20th is Bike to Work Day! Dust off your bike and start planning your route now. Biking to work has the potential to improve many areas of individual wellness - health, wealth, and happiness. In addition, the combination of more cyclists and fewer cars on the road could improve the environmental wellness across the country. Need some reasons to pedal to work on Friday? Here are some of our favorites:
- It's cheaper than driving. Check out the image below for potential savings!
- Save on a gym membership! On average, bicycle commuters lose 13 pounds in their first year of cycling alone.
- Avoid traffic jams and rush hour. Less stress and more aerobic exercise will do wonders for your blood pressure!
- You don't need to own a bike. Many large metropolitan cities are creating ride share programs. You can "rent" a bike for a day, or invest in a ride share membership for a year.
- Save money on healthcare. One study found that during the next 30 years, Portland residents could save as much as $594 million on healthcare costs because of an investment into biking culture.
- Cycling will become safer. The more cyclists on the road, the safer it becomes. The safer cycling is, the more people will cycle! It's a continuous cycle, you just need to start!
- You can get paid to commute!! Since January 2012, bike commuters are entitled to a $20/month tax-free reimbursement for bike-related expenses. This applies to employees who bike at least 3 times per week. Check it out here - http://www.nctr.usf.edu/programs/clearinghouse/commutebenefits/
Subscribe To Our Blog
06/29/2017 - You Can Do It!
10/21/2016 - Try a New Workout
07/20/2016 - National Parks and Recreation
05/13/2016 - Bike to Work Day!
05/05/2016 - Employee Health & Fitness Mont
04/06/2016 - Happy National Walking Day!